Eggs (Each substitution below is the equivalent of one egg. Adjust amounts according to eggs needed in recipe.)
- Cornstarch: 1 Tbsp. cornstarch + 2 Tbsp. water. (Stir until smooth (no lumps) and add to recipe.)
- Banana: ½ banana, pureed or mashed thoroughly. (I like to use a small food processor to make sure the banana is really smooth and pureed.)
- Applesauce: 3 Tbsp. unsweetened applesauce.
- Flax Seed Powder: 2 Tbsp. flax seed powder + 3Tbsp. water. (Stir together and let sit for a few minutes before adding to recipe.)
- Egg Replacement Powder: Follow directions on box.
- Silken Tofu: ¼ cup soft or silken tofu, pureed in a food processor.
- Vegan margarine: Smart Balance has a new, organic vegan margarine that’s available in major grocery stores.
- Nut butter: Any type of natural nut butter, peanut, cashew, almond
Sugar (Refined white sugar is in itself vegan, but is processed with animal bone filters.) Substitutions below each equal one cup of white sugar.
- Raw (turbinado) sugar - 1 cup
- Stevia (1 tsp. - add 1/8 cup liquid in recipe)
- Unrefined cane juice powder - 3/4 cup
- Molasses - 1/2 cup
- Maple granules - 1 cup
- Pure maple syrup - 3/4 cup (reduce liquid in recipe by 1/8 cup)
- Fruit juice concentrate - 3/4 cup (reduce liquid by 1/8 cup)
- Barley malt or rice syrup - 1 1/2 cups (slightly reduce liquid)
- Rice milk
- Soy milk
- Almond milk
- Coconut milk
- Add 1 tsp. vinegar to 1 cup soy/rice milk.
- Vegan chocolate chips: Available in health food stores.
- Vegan chocolate bar: Chop up a chocolate bar and have chocolate chunks instead of chips!