Wednesday, September 27, 2006

open chi-chi sandwich

First I suppose I should explain "chi-chi" to you. This is what we call fake chicken in our home. I can't remember how the term was originated, but I never wanted to call our faux meats by their animal names. I didn't want the kids thinking they were eating "chicken", which to them isn't food, but an animal. So we don't call them "chicken" patties or "fake chicken patties". We call it "chi-chi".

If you're opposed to using the microwave, you can cook the chi-chi on the stovetop or in the oven. If you cook it in a manner that requires you to flip the patty over, wait until you do the flip before adding the spices. Then wait until the patty is done cooking before you add the sauce, then just cook a minute longer.

Open Chi-Chi Sandwich

1 vegan breaded "chicken" patty
1 slice whole wheat bread, toasted
dried oregano
onion powder
garlic powder
cayenne pepper
salt
tomato sauce

Pop the bread in the toaster. Place a chi-chi patty on a microwaveable plate. Sprinkle top with oregano, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper and salt. Microwave for 1 minute. Pour sauce on top of patty and microwave again for 30 seconds. Remove from microwave and use a fork to lift patty up and sneak the piece of toast underneith.

Let heat escape for a couple minutes before serving to little ones.

Since it is an open sandwich, I usually cut it into pieces for the wee ones who don't yet use knives. (You can of course turn it into an easier-to-eat version with another slice of toast on top...but it won't be as pretty. :)

RATING: ***

2 comments:

HyggeMomma said...

I LOVE your rating system! I have 4 children and it makes perfect sense to me.

Anonymous said...

Can you recommend a chicken patty that doesn't have some version of MSG (autolyzed yeast extract etc.) in it? I've had a hard time finding faux meats without MSG. Thanks!