Sunday, September 24, 2006

kids are vegan too!

The Mama
As a mom to three young children who have been vegan since birth, I have found it necessary to sometimes tweak vegan recipes to make them more likeable to young tastes. I will be sharing recipes here that my kids have tested and liked enough to want me to make them again!

The Blog
The hardest part about creating this blog will probably be remembering to take photos of the food before my kids devour it. I'm not used to photographing our snacks and meals! So I will have to try to remember to do that, since a visual is nice to have.

The Basics
I will frequently be using terms like margarine, "milk", and sugar. Since this is a vegan blog, I'm assuming it goes without saying that I mean vegan margarine, soy/rice/nut milk, and raw sugar or sugar substitutes. Please refer to the vegan substitutions page for a nice list of vegan replacements.

The Rating System
The rating system I'm going to use for each recipe will be different than most. The number of stars will not be based upon how much a recipe is liked (ie: 1 star being blah, 5 stars being excellent.) Instead, I will give a recipe a star for each of my children who liked it. I have three children, so the highest star a recipe can have is 3 stars. If only two of my kids liked it, it will have 2 stars, and so on. I will use "NR" (Not Rated) for those recipes submitted by readers that I haven't yet had a chance to make for my kids yet. I don't really see a need to rate it by degrees of like or dislike. My kids either like it, eat it, and ask me to make it again, or they say it's disgusting and ask me never to make it again. Kids are cool like that.

The Submissions
If you would like to submit a vegan recipe that you think kids would like, please email it to me at kidsarevegantoo(at)gmail.com . If you have an accompanying photo, that would be great!

The Requests
If you would like to see a particular vegan recipe posted on this site, please let me know and I'll do my best to try and accomodate you!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It would be nice to know how old your kids are, and how picky they are. My little vegan is four, and a VERY picky eater. Always glad to find a source of kid-tested recipes.

The Chambers Four said...

I am also curious to know the age of your children. I have a 3.5 yr old and a 16 month old. They are vegetarian and only have dairy or eggs on rare occassions ( when I'm poorly prepared with nothing else to feed them :-) ).

Tara Malampy said...

I am soooo happpy to have found this site! We are not vegan; however we have recently changed our household diet. I am a mother of two(12&7)and a special education teacher, and I began to recognize the signs of ADD in my daughter. We have removed all refined sugars, dairy, and preservatives from our diets as afamily. This has been especially hard on my 12 yr old, who loves his sister, but is feeling deprived. I have successfully replaced almost everything in his diet, but having missing mac and cheese, and will be using your recipe this week. I am also missing a good replacement for cream cheese, mostly for use in cheese cake (my son's favorite), I would appriciate any suggestions. We have tried the Toffutti, but is very bitter, and leaves that tasate in the cheesecake. I would appriciate any help you can offer!

Veronica said...

Hey! I wish you were still posting - Though I am a 25 year old vegan, I love your recipes and think you should carry forward again!!! Please? :D