Friday, September 29, 2006

carrot muffins

My daughter won't go anywhere near carrots but she loves these muffins! And as an added bonus, they make the room smell wonderful with the combined mixture of ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg. This recipe makes 6 muffins, so if you'd prefer 12, just double the recipe!

I use a silicone muffin tin for my muffins. Oh how I wish they made glass muffin tins...will somebody please steal my idea and invent such a thing!?

Carrot Muffins

1 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp. nutmeg (or allspice)
1 carrot, grated (or 12 slices of frozen carrots)
6 Tbsp. vanilla "milk"
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
desired egg replacement (equal to one egg)


Preheat oven to 400 degrees. (If using an aluminum tin, lightly grease or insert muffin liners.)

Combine all dry ingredients. Grate carrot. (I always use frozen carrots, so I place 12 carrot slices into a food processor and grind until they're very finely diced, so they look more "crumbly" than "chunky".) Add carrot to dry mixture and stir. Add wet ingredients and immediately distribute into tins, 1/4 cup of batter into each muffin hole.*

Bake for 15-20 minutes...until a toothpick comes out dry.

*Tip: If you grease a 1/4 cup measuring cup, you will get equal amounts, and the batter will easily slide out of the measuring cup!

RATING: ***

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You may want to try custard cups to make these muffins. They are made of glass.

Anonymous said...

I sprinkled brown sugar & raw sugar on top of each muffin for a browner/richer look and my picky kids loved it.